Saturday, July 16, 2011

in the bag!






So, I may have stumbled onto the most delicious little hobby for myself. Way back in may at the county fair I spotted a gal carrying a tote bag made out of a feed sack. How clever is that, I think to myself. And the longer we stayed at the fair the more of these crazy bags I saw. So... I got to thinking... what if I try to make one, but what would I do with it? I have plenty of reusable grocery bags, Trader Joe's bags, even a Costco reusable bag. Don't need anymore grocery bags. So, I think to myself again, what if I doll them up a little and use them as a tote or even a purse... yeah, that's it! So, the fun begins...

What I mean by fun is not the process of sewing these crinkly, wrinkly bags - quite a feat. But the fun of the hunt... the hunt for the bags themselves. Virtually immediately I sunk to low depths as I started rummaging through trash cans at the fair to get these old feed bags. I put the word out with friends, I even went through the feed store's garbage... I know, I know... but I got two bags!

And to take things further, I started the super fun hunt for tiny vintage treats that I could incorporate into each bag to make each one truly unique: Antique street fair and antique shops here I come. And oh what fun: vintage buttons, embroidered dish towels designs, hankies, even 4 vintage sheriff badges imported from Germany. Who knew!

It's like the perfect little project: agriculture, vintage goodies, beautiful fabrics and funky design!

So, a big thank you to the blond lady in the poultry barn at the county fair carrying the cutesy feed bag tote! You've given me a purpose! Or at least a project!

No comments:

Post a Comment